Job title: Medical Receptionist, Star Community Health- Dental
Company: St. Luke's University Health Network
Job description: St. Luke's is proud of the skills, experience and compassion of its employees. The employees of St. Luke's are our most valuable asset! Individually and together, our employees are dedicated to satisfying the mission of our organization which is an unwavering commitment to excellence as we care for the sick and injured; educate physicians, nurses and other health care providers; and improve access to care in the communities we serve, regardless of a patient's ability to pay for health care. The Medical Receptionist is responsible for performing office duties, record keeping functions, and receptionist duties, administrative and follow-up functions in order to assist in the operation of a medical office. The Medical Receptionist will work with and receive supervision from the practice manager, physicians, nurse practitioners and physician assistants.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively participates in maintaining and/or improving quality improvement initiatives.Takes active role in facilitation of team approach to functions within the department:
- Attends departmental meetings.
- Actively participates as a team member in resolution of problems as they are identified.
- Analyzes current procedures, bringing suggestions for improvement to the attention of team members and supervisors for consideration.
- Phones: Field incoming calls and respond appropriately according to network protocols.
- Determines and prioritizes the nature of the incoming call
- Responds to patient communications and routes complete and accurate messages to the appropriate individual
- Ensures patient satisfaction at the end of each call
- Office schedules:
- Maintains patient and physician office schedules
- Schedules patient appointments according to the guidelines of the practice
- Ensures patient access to requested provider, when available
- Greets patients in a polite, prompt, engaging manner
- Registers patients according to the guidelines of the practice
- Verifies patient demographics and insurance information at each visit.
- Captures any barriers – i.e. language, vision, hearing etc. and responds accordingly.
- Maintains a consistent patient flow, and advises patients of delays in schedule
- Assist patients with the “welcome tablet” at check-in
- Educate patients on MyChart and assist with sign-up at check-in
- Ensure all information is correct during insurance verification process (RTE)
- Verify all patient consents are current (ie: HIPPA, Financial Liability)
- Exercises good judgment and communication skills; demonstrates an awareness of emergency situations and responds appropriately.
- Monitors and maintains patient reception area, cleanliness and noise level.
- Possesses basic knowledge of medical terminology and coding.
- Corrects charge review errors. Handle registration/billing edits, practice registration errors and missing registration items in work ques daily.
- Is familiar with basic medical insurance concepts (i.e.: deductibles, co-insurance, fee-for-service, managed care)
- Verifies and explains charges to the patient. Collects any amounts due at time of service. Provides patient education as it relates to insurance and balances owed. Responsible to close out and balance cash drawer.
- Sends daily faxes to Central Scanning Team using the correct fax sheet. Scans and indexes, as needed. Backlog not to exceed 72 hours.
- Maintains referral work queue and update notes in order to communicate with other departments.
- Reviews in-basket clerical pool messages and complete necessary information to clear the message.
- Processes requests for medical records according to practice, State and HIPAA guidelines.
- Follows opening and closing procedures as required.
PHYSICAL AND SENSORY REQUIREMENTS:
Requires sitting, standing and walking for extended periods of time (up to 8 hours at time). Requires continual use of fingers for patient care, writing and computer entry. Routinely uses upper extremities; occasional requirement to lift up to 25 pounds. Occasionally push cart with supplies up to 30 pounds. Occasionally push wheelchair with patient weighing up to 325 pounds. Regularly requires ability to stoop, bend and reach above shoulder level. Requires ability to hear normal conversation and good general, near and peripheral vision.
High School graduate or equivalent. Preference given to graduates of accredited medical assistant/administrative training programs.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
One year office experience in a similar healthcare setting or graduate of accredited medical assistant/administrative training program is preferred. Customer Service experience is strongly preferred.
Please complete your application using your full legal name and current home address. Be sure to include employment history for the past seven (7) years, including your present employer. Additionally, you are encouraged to upload a current resume, including all work history, education, and/or certifications and licenses, if applicable. It is highly recommended that you create a profile at the conclusion of submitting your first application. Thank you for your interest in St. Luke's!!
Location: Bethlehem, PA